Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blue and White Inspiration

Good morning!  I hope that if you are in the eye of the storm that you have your provisions and are ready to hunker down. Just be safe whatever you do.  


I have been paging through magazines and reading blogs this week and I continually see the the colors blue and white popping up from fashions to home decor. 


Traditionally blue and white never goes out of style and is a great accent color for clothes and furnishings.  From blue and white striped Nautical t-shirts seen all over in the Summer or the blue and white transfer ware and Chinese pottery that is sprinkled throughout decorating magazines. It is a classic combination. 



Although I am a huge fan of these colors I do not often use them in my decor unless I am drinking or eating off of it and in a few paintings. 


"There is no blue without yellow and without orange."  ~Vincent Van Gogh


As for clothing, I prefer black but blue and white have been turning up more and more. 


"White...is not a mere absence of colour; it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black...God paints in many colours; but He never paints so gorgeously, I had almost said so gaudily, as when He paints in white." 
~G. K. Chesterton

Are you a fan of blue and white? Do you wear or use these colors in your decorating?




"Blue is the only color which maintains its own character in all its tones...it will always stay blue; whereas yellow is blackened in its shades, and fades away when lightened; red when darkened becomes brown, and diluted with white is no longer red, but another color - pink." 
~ Raoul Dufy


"If you see a tree as blue, then make it blue."
~ Paul Gauguin

Are you a fan or transfer ware?



"The first of all single colors is white ... We shall set down white for the representative of light, without which no color can be seen; yellow for the earth; green for water; blue for air; red for fire; and black for total darkness." 
~Leonardo Da Vinci


What about Chinese pottery?

"ELOQUENCE, n. The art of orally persuading fools that white is the color that it appears to be. It includes the gift of making any color appear white." 
~Ambrose Bierce


If you are a fan and would like some inspiration, Tina from The Enchanted Home posted 35 Reasons Why I Love Decorating with Blue and White.




And Marsha from Splenderosa posted on Blue and White in her 3 Things Series. 


Be safe and enjoy your day!

9 comments:

  1. OH, that first painting, MINE MINE MINE! And I love blue, but more of an aqua. But these objects are to be admired and soon for me, I hope to be seeing the blue of the ocean as I take off to California. Be well sweet friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! I am back....missed being in blogland. And of course this was a wonderful post to welcome me back...let me count the ways I love blue and white, EVERY possible way. It is so classic and to me, just adds so much to any space where it is used. Great post..hope you are well and have had a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tend to wear blue and adore blue in the garden but it has yet to appear in my decor.......every spring i wish it was.

    lovely images and prose elizabeth
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post Elizabeth, both my houses have a great deal of blue and white, I love it and find it very soothing. Indeed in my Breton home I have blue window frames, I think it was that combined with the amazing light that inspired me to buy the house.
    My latest post features blue & white, they are the colours chosen by Chantal Cody for her chocolate company Rococo, and yesterday I took my daughter and a little friend there fir a children's chocolate workshop.
    What a perfect combination chocolate along with blue and white.
    We have a busy couple of days, so let me wish you a happy and relaxing weekend.
    I'll catch up with you next week.
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to see all the pretty blue & white this morning! I love it, and have a love for that combination in pottery and also in vintage textiles. Did you see Carolyne Roehm's book on blue and white, it's one of my favs! Enjoy the rest of your week~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! I am partial to blue and white as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is such a classic combination that I don't have in the home but will wear occasionally. Love all the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Elizabeth! I too am inspired by blue and white. It looks beautiful displayed on just about anything. I really like the blue and whites on wood.. gorgeous!

    Stay warm!
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been particularly inspired to decorate with blue and white. I love the combination, it always looks so fresh, clean and crisp. Also, I've never been allured by transfer ware, I don't have a feel for it one way or the other. Some is very pretty, some...not so much. I have to tell you about my dishes. I don't like for my dishes to be matchy- matchy. Over the years, I've acquired various pieces from grandmothers and an elderly neighbor. I now 8 place settings that we used everyday. They are a combination of the Blue Willow (above), Blue Onion (above) and blue and white Westminster. I haven't bought a single piece and I love the way my table looks! Blue and white transfer ware was determined to be a part of my life even when I wasn't even looking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...