Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Roasted Tomato Soup


Good morning! It is another cold morning here and I do not want to leave the house to go to yoga because I have turned into a whip this winter.  It was in the low 30's all weekend, needless to say I stayed inside and did things around the house. When it came time to eat we were all about warm and a tasty comfort food. 




In the summer I always roast tomatoes, garlic and basil and freeze in gallon bags, then in the winter I have the base for pasta sauce or soup. This weekend I pulled a bag out of the freezer and made this easy soup.  Even if you do not have the tomatoes already roasted this soup is so easy to make and is delicious. 

Roasted Tomato Soup

2.5 lbs tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic
olive oil
salt 
pepper
1/8-1/4 cup basil leaves torn
1 small red onion 
4 cups of vegetable broth


Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking liner, foil or parchment paper. Set aside. Roughly chop your tomatoes, (I actually use a tomato that is about the size of a small orange and I cut them in half) and place on baking sheet, chop the onion and place on baking sheet as well. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Add the 5 cloves of garlic, Mix well. Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 30-45 minutes, you want the tomatoes soft and blistered.

Remove garlic and cool slightly, then remove the skin. Pour the tomato and onion mixture into a stock pot, add the vegetable broth, the basil leaves and the peeled garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blenderfood processor or use an immersion blender (whatever method you choose be very careful with this hot liquid.)  and puree the mixture until smooth. 

Ladle into bowls and enjoy with a sprinkling of cheese, a garnish of basil and a cheese sandwich or cheese toast. 



Sources: Soup BowlNapkinsRectangle Serving TrayFlatware

This soup is delicious anytime, on a cold winter day or a warm summer afternoon. I love to eat it with grilled cheese sandwiches or open faced cheese toasts if I am pressed for time. 

Do you have a favorite tomato soup recipe? If so please share, and if you have a grilled cheese sandwich recipe share that as well, it is my 2nd favorite meal after pizza and I am always looking for interesting cheese combinations. 

I hope that you have a great week! 










6 comments:

  1. What a great way to freeze the base in the summer, I usually make endless amounts of tomato sauce to freeze, but have never thought of doing it this way which actually makes a lot more sense. How long do you roast the tomatoes and garlic for? Would love to know as I am going to do it your way in the summer, thanks, a great tip. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma always put "pinch dumplings" into her homemade tomato soup. So homemade, she even grew all the ingredients in her enormous garden.
    The dumplings were like any--flour, egg, water, pinch of salt--and she would pinch off the tiniest bits to toss into some boiling water, then add them to the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be my favorite soup of all time. YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Elizabeth! Tomato soup is my absolute favorite!! Looks low-cal, too! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DO you put a sliced tomato on your GRILLED CHEESE?
    I DO!!!!!!!!!
    YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...